I have to say that today is really not my day, I woke up this morning with stuffy nose and crushing headache, I guess a few nights with little sleep to care for a sick baby finally takes its toll. So I cancelled my morning walk and lie down with Baby A, he was surprisingly cooperative today so we both got like 2 more hours of eye shut before sending him to the daycare.
Woke up feeling much better and baby A away in the daycare. I thought I will blog about this beautiful pastry that I made over the weekend for a get together at our friend's. So here I spent about an hour typing and composing the post and god know what get into me, I cluosed the page without saving the work!
That wasn't the end of my disaster, I got my test result in the mail today, and missed the passing mark by 2. Have to retake the test again next year! Hmmm... Though I sort of expecting it, due to the rush preparation, it still brings my mood down a little.
It can't be worse, so I thought. Then I sprained my shoulder in the evening while trying to secure baby A to his carseat! It was really painful!
So enough of my luck today, at night, after baby A went to bed I took a hot epsom salt bath to help ease the pain in my shoulder. Now with some Chinese Analgesic lotion rubbed on my sprained shoulder, I decided to unwind by taking sometime to do what I love most -- Blogging about my food.
Blueberry Buckle (Inspired by Brown Eyed baker)
For the topping:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup of salted butter (room temperature, cut into small cubes)
For the cake:
1 1/2 cup self raising flour
1 1/2 stick ( 3/4 cup) of unsalted butter, Softened
2/3 cup of brown sugar
1/4 tsp of salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs room temperature
3 cups of fresh blueberries
1. In a stand mixer, mix together flour, ground cinnamon, brown sugar and butter and mix until crumbled. Take it out and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350F (175 C). Grease a 9 inches pie pan, place a round/cut parchment paper at the bottom of pie dish.
3.Proceed to make the cake layer. In a stand mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar.
4. Add egg, one at a time, and beat at medium speed until the mixture looks a little like icecream in texture. Fold in self raising flour, and continue beating until the mixture is well incorporated.
5. Gently fold in the blueberries, at very low speed, turn the batter a few second, stop the mixer, and continue folding the blueberries in with spatula.
6. Transfer the batter to the pie dish, use a silicon spatula to gently spread the cake mix evenly. Use your hand to break and spread the streusel prepared earlier over the cake batter. Lightly press the streausel when all of it being spread over cake batter.
7. Bake at 350F (175 C) for about 55 mins or until the topping is golden brown in color. Take it out and let it cold down for couple of minutes and serve warm with ice cream.
I really like the topping! Just make me forget about calorie counting for a bit!