Monday, August 4, 2014

Radish Leaves Stir Fry (Mooli ke patte ki sabzi)



There is a small Indian grocery shop near where I live that I shop very frequently, I have a habit of picking up something whenever I pass by. As I shopped there often, the cashier became acquainted with me, we will sometimes have a little chitchat while she work through scanning the products.

One day I saw that they were carrying fresh radish with long bushy leaves. I took two and thinking of making radish paratha for breakfast and save the radish leaves to make stir fry that my mother in law once made when I visited India.

The cashier was so happy to see that I bought the radishes with the leaves, she told me that they cook the leaves in her village but here in the states many shopper removed the leaves and left it at the vegetable display isle, she finds it a waste and feel really bad about it. 

She asked how I would prepare the leaves, I told her my plan and she was all laughing and delighted. "That is how we make it back home!" she cried out loud.

I left the shop feeling good that I didn't waste edible stuff that mother earth produced, I proceed to go home and made this stir fry for lunch. 


Ingredients:
3-4 cup Radish Leaves (Cleaned and chopped)
1/3 cup of chopped onion
1/3 cup of chopped tomato
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
2 tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
Salt to taste
2-3 tbsp of cooking oil




1. In a cooking pan heat up 2-3 tbsp of cooking oil, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds, when the seeds start cracking, add chopped onion and stir until translucent.

2. Add chopped radish leaves and stir well, cook for about 8 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, stir for 2-3 more minutes before adding coriander powder, chili powder and turmeric powder. Continue cooking for few minutes, season with salt.

Serve with flat bread and some lentil soup.








No comments:

Post a Comment